Friday, February 12, 2010

Show you shouldn't watch- The Deep End: 'Nothing Personal' aired2/11/10



I tried, I really did. I tried more then anyone should have expected from someone in my demographic. The Deep End is on Thursday nights right up against the 2 hour block of comedy on NBC. A couple of years ago, before Hulu was more of a household name, it wouldn't have stood a chance for me. Ahhh, I was the good 'ole days.

I watch 'Community,' 'Parks & Recreation,' 'The Office,' and '30 Rock' on Thursday nights live. However because I've always liked shows taking place in law firms, I thought I'd give it a try. I could tell from the previews it was essentially 'Grey's Anatomy' in a law firm, but it did seem a touch less heavy- handed. And it was- just not any better and more likely- a lot worse.

None of the characters grew on me. A couple of them were somewhat likeable- like Malcolm Bennett, the token African- American of the young lawyers in the firm. Anyway, thanks to Hulu I watched the first couple shows and this morning turned to the site to watch the latest one. Slightly before or just after the first commercial break two of the young lawyers were talking to school officials representing a tennis team which just revoked the scholarship of one of their female players. They suspected her of cheating, tested her blood for steroids, found nothing, then performed a chromosome test and decided......she's a man.

That's it for me, I'm done. The contrived humor, hokey coming-of-age themes, and unappealing displaced patriarch of the firm played by Billy Zane was already just about too much for me to bear. It's indicative of the show that the only appealing character is the Hart Sterling, played by Clancy Brown a prolific character actor who may be best known as the captain from 'Shawshank Redemption.' While he was the only likeable and compelling character there, the show should likely suffer the same end that the warden did in 'Shawshank.' So, in the episode titled 'Nothing Personal,' I'll have to tell 'The Deep End,' that it's nothing personal but I'm out- even the next day via Hulu.

5 comments:

  1. The hermaphrodite storyline tracks the scandal with South African athlete Caster Semenya. It seems ridiculous if you aren't familiar with that situation, but it's more topical than sensational once you think about it. Don't know if this will change your opinion, but just fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not real familiar with the story, but i have heard about it. i honestly always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that those types of issues were steroid-induced, rather then a quirk of genetics. if i'm wrong, you're probably right- although i'd still take issue with the way it was delivered and how it fits in with a show which seems to prefer to be more light- hearted. it just struck me as very heavy handed and sensationalistic for a show that's so light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that the show is more of a "youthful" Boston Legal than Grey's Anatomy. Which is why it appeals to me. Legal dramas are a great enjoyment to me, but they all start to feel like Law & Order.

    I'd argue that Clancy Brown is more well-known for being the bad guy in Highlander than for Shawshank Redepmtion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't say that Highlander is better known then Shawshank. Shawshank was up for an oscar and Highlander, to me is kinda a niche sci-fi movie. My fault on calling him the warden and no the captain though.

    ReplyDelete